C++ Language and STL
- <filesystem> header in Visual Studio 2012
Shows sample usage of filesystem header, new to VS2012, that defines types and functions for working with files and folders.
- C++11 concurrency: threads
An introduction to threads support in C++11.
- C++11 concurrency: locks
A walk through the synchronization mechanism for multi-threading provided by C++11.
- C++11 concurrency: condition variables
Learn how to use condition variables to synchronize communication between threads.
- C++11 concurrency: locks revisited
Mutex should be mutable to be usable from a const function.
- Is char *p=”abc” valid in C++?
Answers the question: “is it legal in C++ to declare a non-const char pointer, assigning a string literal?“
- Dispelling Common C++ Myths: Static Constructors
Answers the question “What is a static constructor in C++?”
- Farewell to new and delete
A short walk through the smart pointers and the free functions available in C++ for creating them.
- Inherited constructors in C++11
Learn about inherited constructors in C++11.
- Function return type deduction in C++14
A short introduction to the function return type deduction in C++14.
Microsoft Libraries (Windows API, MFC, ATL, WIC, WMI, etc.)
- Multiple Selection Menu – Part 1
How to use a WH_MSGFILTER hook, in order to make multiple selection menus, like in Microsoft Visual Studio‘s add or remove buttons pop-up menus.
- Multiple Selection Menu – Part 2
An MFC-extension class, derived from CMenu, for showing context pop-up menus with multiple selection.
- Overlay Drawing in CScrollView – Part 1
Drawing a fixed text over an image in CScrollView MFC class.
- Overlay Drawing in CScrollView – Part 2
Presents an MFC-extension class derived from CScrollView that allows overlay drawing, along with other features like zoom and a simple image viewer.
- AfxMessageBox with Auto-close – Part 2
AfxMessageBox with auto-close that displays the time left.
- MFC-extension WIC File Dialogs
CWICFileDialog, a class derived from CFileDialog for easily deal with WIC-compliant image files.
- LogExpert Browser – Windows Event Logs Viewer
Presents LogExpert Browser, a free open-source application for viewing Windows event logs records.
- Share Application Homepage on Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook
How to implement sharing on Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook, in a desktop MFC application.
- Custom Paint in MDI Client
Discover how to paint in MDI client area of an MFC application that is using Feature Pack classes.
- Command Link Button Control
Using the Windows Vista/7/8 command link button controls in our own applications.
- Split Button Control
Learn how to use the split button control in an MFC application.
- Fill a List with Large Amount of Data – Part 1
A brief introduction in how to fill a Windows common listview control (SysListView32) with a large amount of data.
- Fill a List with Large Amount of Data – Part 2
Demonstrates how to deal with a virtual listview control.
- Fill a List with Large Amount of Data – Part 3
A simple example of handling LVN_ODCACHEHINT notification in a virtual listview control.
- Custom Draw vs. Owner Draw Controls
A quick look over the custom-draw and owner-draw common Windows controls.
- Color Picker Listview Control
How to quickly make a color picker using a custom-draw or an owner-draw listview control.
- Painting the Dialog Backround
How to change the default dialog’s background by handling WM_ERASEBKGND, WM_CTLCOLOR and/or WM_PAINT messages.
- Listing Processes – Part 1: Introduction
Opens a series of articles about listing the running processes in Windows.
- Listing Processes – Part 2: Using PSAPI
Demonstrates the use of EnumProcesses PSAPI function.
- Listing Processes – Part 3: Using Tool Help Library
Shows how to use Tool Help Library functions for listing processes which are running in system.
- Listing Processes – Part 4: Using Remote Desktop Services API
Using Remote Desktop Services API to enumerate processes running on local machine.
- Listing Processes – Part 5: Using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
How to list and get info about running processes by using Win32_Process WMI class.
- File Open Dialog with Multiple Selection – Part 1: Old Style
How to deal with multiple selection open file dialogs in MFC.
- File Open Dialog with Multiple Selection – Part 2: Vista Style
How to deal with multiple selection open file dialogs in MFC (Vista style).
- File Open Dialog with Multiple Selection – Part 3: Cutting the Dog Tail
Using IFileOpenDialog to collect selected items in a multiple-selection File Open dialog (MFC).
- Tiles-View List Control
A brief presentation about how to set tiles view in a Windows listview control.
- Get Physical Drive Serial Number – Part 1
How to get physical drive serial number by calling DeviceIoControl function.
- Get Physical Drive Serial Number – Part 2
How to get the serial number of a physical drive using Win32_PhysicalMedia WMI class, in C++ applications.
- The Beginning of The Golden Ages
A short announce about Microsoft Visual C++ 1.0 anniversary.