Windows Imaging Component (WIC) is an extensible COM-based library/framework for working with digital images and image metadata.
- built-in support for reading and writing common image formats like BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and TIFF;
- built-in support for the new high-performance image format called Windows Media Photo, aka HD Photo;
- can deal with any other image format for which a WIC-compliant codec is installed in system, e.g. raw image formats;
- develop codecs for own image formats;
- read and write metadata in image files; can deal with common image metadata formats as well as custom metadata;
- wide range of pixel formats;
- high-color support.